Friday, January 29, 2010

A LOVEly update!

I always thought (and planned) that my last semester as an undergraduate would be a simple affair, filled with easy core classes and relaxation before starting graduate school in the fall. Ha! Yeah right.

In all truth, it would be an easy semester were it not for one very important detail. I'm going to spend most of March in the Andes of Bolivia, Argentina, and Chile! That's right, I will fly down sometime in early March to climb around on a bunch of volcanoes with the grad student I'm assisting and collect rock samples, map the volcanoes, and possibly do a bit of sightseeing on our down days. I'm incredibly excited about this trip, but I do have quite a bit to do before I leave.

That said, I have spent quite a bit of time in the studio these past two weeks. I've acquired quite a few Maureen Love classic bodies (many of them PIFed to me from a fellow Blabber!) and I've been happily sanding away at these pretties. I absolutely LOVE the Maureen Love sculpts. They have such incredible personality, detail, and accuracy that I think today's models lack. These three are almost ready for their first coat of primer.


And then there's this little guy. He's based on the January photo in one of my calendars of a gorgeous buckskin tobiano gypsy mare. I had originally intended for him to be a dark bay, but upon seeing the buckskin beauty for January I knew that color would be perfect for my little G3 Friesian body. The non-stick tape on his tail and leg is to keep him from toppling; these little buggers tip too easily!


I have a few others in progress, but I'm a bit too busy to get them out to photograph them tonight. Most of them are simply sitting around in primer waiting for me to finally pick them up and paint them! I've actually been having a very pleasant time prepping lately (it's nice to just listen to an audiobook and sand sometimes!) and the result is an abundance of pieces ready for when the muse strikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.