Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I wanna paint...

...but THIS is keeping me occupied!


It's a thin section of eggshell from a false gharial. I have well over a hundred microscope photos of eggshell from about twenty different species of birds and crocodilians. Why, you may ask? Because I have to calculate the area of each and every pore in the eggshell that I can see in the thin section using a very stupid computer program that does not like to cooperate with me. By doing this, I am trying to determine whether the method used by paleontologists to calculate gas conductance in dinosaur eggshell (the method I'm using on my eggshell) produces the same results as the method used by biologists, which involves a fresh egg (obviously unobtainable by paleontologists. I have to have this ready for a conference on dinosaur eggs and babies that is being held at Montana State University in a few weeks. The whole process is much more complicated than I've described, but really it's the last thing I want to think about right now. I have a fresh tub of Apoxie Sculpt waiting for me downstairs and quite a few models that need work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.